88 Keys

My loving wife bought me a piano for my 30th birthday. Our local piano store was having a good sale, so I got this present early - it was delivered last week. I understand that other family members have also contributed to this gift, making it that much more special.

I've wanted my own piano ever since I left home, where I had one available to me at all times. That was just over 10 years ago. Playing piano is something I've always enjoyed, so to have it back in my life after so long is really a shock to the system. I walk by my new piano every day now, and it still hasn't quite settled in that it's mine, and it's here to stay. I have no idea how to say thank you for a gift like this. I did make my way to the music store last week as well, and picked up 3 books:

1) 19 popular works by Chopin
2) Norah Jones' "Come Away with Me" words and music
3) A book on jazz theory, specifically chord structures

Let's just say that cracking open some sheet music and trying to plunk out a tune has been a humbling experience. I'm having to re-learn a lot of what used to be second nature, but so far I can safely say that it's been an enjoyable experience. One of my goals this week is to find a way to practice while I'm on the road.

As a side note, my friend Will is also pursuing his artistic side. He has put together an Alfred Hitchcock exhibition at Northwestern Universitiy's Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art. The exhibit runs from September 28 - December 9th. Will is featured in this month's issue of Chicago Magazine for his efforts - it's really quite an accomplishment (the exhibit, I mean - the magazine interview is just icing on the cake). Well done, Will.



----------------
Now playing: John Prine - Dear Abby
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

Some thoughts on impeachment