God Bless Jon Stewart

I know it's been on my list of links for some time now, but I must take a moment to commend the Daily Show on its exceptionally witty political commentary. To start with, there is no good news on TV anymore. By "good" I am not only referring to the fact that most networks only cover the death and destruction stories anymore, but also to the fact that the caliber of TV journalism has deteriorated so far since the days of Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow, it is almost beyond recognition. I can't even watch the NBC nightly news anymore. They spend so much time talking about their other shows, their "feature segments" and they don't cover international news at all. CNN was McNews to start with, and they've gone completely downhill since AOL bought them (big shock there).

I've found that I can get all the news I care for at news.google.com, where I also have my choice of providers (reuters and bbc are my favorites). No flashy graphics or catchy segment names required, thank you very much.

When it comes to having a good laugh at the sad state of politics in America though, nothing beats the Daily show. I mean, how can you not laugh at a President, who, in the face of criticism from almost all sides and against the advice of everyone sane is about to announce tonight that the solution in Iraq is to put 20,000 more of our armed forces into harms way. Brilliant.

I for one have already written to my senators asking that Bush be held accountable for his clear violation of the War Powers act. There is no declaration of war against Iraq, which means that legally Bush can't just use the military there however he wants for as long as he wants. In fact, the US has not declared war since June 5, 1942, when we declared war against Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania as part of World War II. Let's do a quick review of times since then that the President has made serious military engagements:
Korea? Not so good - north and south Korea are technically still at war
Vietnam? Also not good
1st Persian gulf war? Obviously not good, or we wouldn't have had to go back
Current Iraq war - more soldiers killed in Iraq than civilians killed on 9/11, and no end in sight. Oh yeah, and those few countries in Europe who didn't yet hate us? They hate us now.

And where's Osama anyway? Are we any safer? Have the Islamic militant nuts all packed up, gone home, and called off their Jihad on us white devils? Nope.

Thank goodness for the Daily Show, because if I wasn't laughing about all this, I'd be the nut on the white house lawn getting arrested for throwing eggs at the oval office windows. The only people I'm mad at these days are the Democrats for screwing up the last election so poorly. Say what you will about Al Sharpton - he would've gotten us out of Iraq.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

88 Keys

Some thoughts on impeachment