Good Music

It's quite possible that the most beautiful country song ever recorded was Willie Nelson's version of "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain." It's a tune that Fred Rose wrote in 1945, but no one had ever heard of it until Willie recorded it in 1975. Sometimes good songwriting skills just aren't enough - it takes a certain voice to deliver the message. Ask John Sumners or his wife Lisa - they know.

This is part of the reason I absolutely despise American Idol. A good 90% of that show is a combination of awful songs performed by awful singers who have no sense of the true meaning of the lyrics. It certainly appeals to 15 year old girls and a frightening number of women my age, but it's just not a talent competition. It's a popularity contest which confirms to the world that Americans have no taste, as if there was room for doubt.

On the latest season, they featured Niel Diamond as a guest artist. I know this because my wife will record all the episodes on DVR, so I'm obligated to watch some of them if I want to make use of the kitchen or family room while she's watching them. Anyway these teeny-bopper no-talent clowns butchered some of Neil's most beautiful works one at a time. I could've punched my TV. I wanted to scream "the privileged life you've lead up until the ripe old age of 17 should exclude you from even attempting to accurately portray the emotion that Neil felt when he wrote these songs." But yelling at my TV (or punching it) would be equally foolish. So I make my Nespresso and return to the other room to watch real TV like COPS or "Man vs. Wild." I'll show 'em.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

88 Keys

Some thoughts on impeachment