Thank you, TSA

I finally met one - a nice, friendly TSA agent with a good sense of humor. I'm sure he'll be fired by the end of the week for not fitting in with the rest of the gang, but this morning, at "o-dark-thirty," this guy actually made me laugh. He said "good morning, how are you?" I said I'm fine, how are you? "I'm livin' the dream, can't you see?"

"I like Monday mornings.," he said. "Monday mornings it's almost all experienced travelers coming through here. You guys know the routine and we can move you through here in no time. Thursdays are the worst - it's amateur hour. Thursdays are the days when I get the people who say 'o, I didn't know that water is a liquid.' It makes me want to start selling a product I've thought of called 'instant water.' I figure it would be something like a pet rock. You sell people an empty bottle and explain to them that, once they're through the checkpoint, they can 'just add water' and the bottle will produce 'instant' water."

Sure, it helped that this all took place at 4:30AM after I waited ten minutes for the 1 agent at the ticket counter to explain to some moron all the taxes and fees associated with the ticket he just asked her to re-issue. It's a plane ticket, dude. It's full of taxes and fees.

It was a tough weekend for the UK men's basketball team, who lost to the Tennessee Volunteers. The Wildcats needed a smack-down though. Their heads are too full of the million dollar NBA contracts in their future, and everyone in this town telling them they're God's gift to basketball. Going into the NCAA men's tournament with arrogance never turns out well. I was also sorry to see my IU Hoosiers suffer their worse home loss since 1914 on Thursday night. Ouch.

Ella and I are preparing for a busy spring. In addition to our regular Keeneland outings with friends and family, we're going to attend Thunder over Louisville for the first time. This is something I've been dying to do, and in five years here we've just never been able to make it. We had plans to go last year, but something pulled Ella out of town at the last minute. We're also going to have a very busy May, with the crawfish boil, the Buffett concert and Taste of the Bluegrass all in the same week.

This new project I'm working out in L.A. is very interesting, and a good opportunity to win us some additional work. We had yet another round of layoffs last week, which are always great for morale. That also means that those of us on a project are that much more motivated to find add-on work that we can sell to the client. Consulting is a lot like temp work or construction projects in that way - the faster I do my job, the sooner I'm looking for a new one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

Some thoughts on impeachment

88 Keys