P. Leroy on the road

It's been another busy week here in San Francisco, and I couldn't be happier. The project is moving along well, and we're really going to be delivering something valuable here. The weather here is still perfect, and the city continues to provide an endless supply of dining and entertainment options. It is the antithesis of Findlay, Ohio (thank God). As Ella and I like to say, it is also "not France."

When I was entrusted with the safekeeping of some of P. Leroy's (my great grandfather) personal effects, one of the items among them was a St. Christopher's medal. As all good Catholics know, St. Christopher was the patron saint of travelers until 1969, when the Vatican decided there wasn't enough historical evidence to even support his existence. Then again, what does the Vatican know? Most of us (myself included) still consider St. Christopher to be the patron saint of travelers. For additional good measure, the reverse of this medal features St. Rapahel who is regarded as a protector and healer. I think he's still in good standing with the pope, but don't quote me on that. I decided to start taking this medal with me on trips. It's less fragile than the pocketwatch, and it's probably a good idea for me to invoke the spirit of St. whomever to look over me, lest I go ballistic on some poor airline employee.

Last week, P. Leroy joined me at the symphony, after which he suggested we hit the "Top of the Mark." This outstanding jazz club at the top of the Mark Hopkins hotel has been around for generations, and is still one of the finest night spots in the city. Last night, P. Leroy suggested we find a good Irish pub for a proper pint and a hearty meal, so we did. I took the guys back to O'Reily's where Frank shared his travel horror stories from his recent vacation. Actually, his vacation was great, it's just that getting home on American Airlines turned into a nightmare. Frank is one of those guys who is cursed with bad luck when it comes to travel, but he's also a great storyteller and he had us roaring with laughter at his misfortunes. I just hope he and I are never on the same flight out of Dallas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

Some thoughts on impeachment

88 Keys