Girls' Night

When I returned home last Thursday I had the pleasure of witnessing girls' night at our house. Ella and some friends watch Gray's Anatomy every Thursday, and it was Ella's night to host. What an eye-opener this was. The intensity with which these 7 women watched a soap opera was unsettling. Of course they have favorite actors and characters in the show, but it goes much beyond that. They have theories about why certain events on the show took place, and other theories about what will happen next. They have favorite couples on the show and other cases where they hope guy A will hook up with girl B or C but definitely not girl D because she sucks.
Oh yes, and all the while there is blood and guts all over this show. In this particular picture, some guy's carotid artery has just ruptured. Nothing goes with romance like spurting blood, that's what I've always said. The ladies at our house that night (and I imagine this is the case with most women who watch the show) are pretty much split into two camps - you're either for McSteamy or McDreamy. I thought I was for McSteamy, but the more I thought about it, that reminds me too much of the latrines at boy scout camp, so I'm moving over to the McDreamy camp. At least McDreamy might be a McDonald's dessert.

Overall the show is not bad. It's definitely shooting for a female audience, probably trying to pick up the slack where sex and the city left off. It's filled with all kinds of double-meaning philosophy of life stuff too - way too much. But it's definitely hit the mark with Ella's girlfriends. It was worth it to tolerate the show just to observe estrogen-fest 2007 in my living room. At some point they stopped talking about the show and started talking about romances that they and their friends are experiencing these days, but the dialog was so similar, I missed the transition entirely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

88 Keys

Some thoughts on impeachment