San Francisco

After a nice relaxing anniversary weekend with Ella at Disneyworld, I'm happy to report that I'm back on the job with EDS. I'd been on the bench for several months so it's good to be once again practicing my trade. IT strategy is a lot more interesting than the other types of consulting I've done, and this time it takes me to the city by the bay for a project at Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E). Many of you may remember PG&E from the movie Erin Brockovich - these are the guys who poisoned the water supply of Hinkley, CA, lied about it, and ended up settling to the tune of $333 million. Not the kind of PR you'd like to be remembered for, but this is a matter of public record.

On a positive note, all signs indicate that they've learned from the experience. You can't get on an elevator at this place without reading about the importance of safety, protecting the communities in which they work and protecting the environment, and corporate ethics. They've even launched a campaign to move away from fossil fuel power generation to "green generation" power plants. One proposal involves creating a "tidal plant" that creates electricity from the (massive) flow of water each day in and out of San Francisco bay. This, at the same time Kentucky is trying to convince people that "clean coal" is the energy of the future so we can keep our mining industry alive a while longer. Show me a coal miner who actually believes in the idea of "clean" coal. Does clean coal still involve blowing mountain tops to bits with dynamite and miners dying of black lung? I hate to be so cynical, but these PR campaigns about "balanced energy choices" (meaning let's not throw out coal yet) and how it's unreasonable to force the big automakers to design more fuel efficient vehicles are really getting on my nerves these days. If thinking that we should be responsible stewards of our environment makes me a tree-hugger, so be it. The Governator is a Republican, and look at the environmental reforms he's put in place.

Anyway I'm staying at a nice hotel, right across the street from one of my favorite bars of all time - Harry Denton's Starlight Room. The guys I'm working with are great, PG&E is really excited about the work we're going to do for them. Plus now that Bob Barker has moved on, I have no desire to stay at home and watch Price is Right anymore. I'll keep you posted on my adventures in SF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

Some thoughts on impeachment

88 Keys