Election Day

It's election day, and clearly I have not kept up with my 60 days 60 stats project. It was an ambitious project though, so I'm ok with making it to 50. Today's election is likely to be close, and also likely to see record turnout. I see both of these as good things. It has forced both parties to listen to the electorate. Anytime we increase the voter participation rate, our democracy strengthens. Here's what I can tell you about the next four years for the President, regardless of who wins:

  • He will inherit an economy on the rebound
  • We are in one fewer war than we were four years ago
  • He will see 12 million jobs created, and he cannot take credit for any of them
  • He will not end the ridiculous partisanship in Washington
  • He will not balance the budget
  • He will not end the fact that special interests have too much influence
  • He will not fix entitlements
Clearly, I am hoping that Obama wins. Mitt's pro-millionaire anti-middle class approach, combined with his proven track record of changing his positions to whatever will maximize his appeal to voters make him hard to like (or trust), in my book. If he does win, I expect my GOP friends to hold him to the same standard they applied to Obama. Specifically, when Mitt fails to overhaul the economy + DC politics in 4 years, I expect them to fire him for the same reasons they are telling me I'm crazy for voting for Obama again.

I didn't like "W" the 2nd time I voted for him. He had already proven himself to be a terrible statesman, an advocate for businesses over citizens, rich people over poor ones. John Kerry was simply not a viable alternative for me, for the exact same reasons I don't like Romney - didn't trust the guy, and he didn't present a viable plan.

I just hope we avoid the recounts and court cases of years past. I not-so-secretly hope that Romney wins the popular vote and Obama wins the electoral college, because then some of my GOP friends will finally support the campaign to end the electoral college.

Get out there and vote.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

88 Keys

Some thoughts on impeachment