Stimulus

I think it's just a funny word. The idea sounds good - that our government should give the economy a swift kick in the rear to snap out of this recessionary trend. How does taking out more debt help us though? I read the Economist every week, and I still can't make sense of it. And whether Obama wants to admit it or not, there is clearly some pork in the $787 billion spending bill that passed.

One thing which has not made much news but I am putting in the "it's about damn time" category is recovery.gov - the government's web site where you can track how they're spending your money. Why have we not had this before? I've argued for years that if Americans were forced to write Uncle Sam a check every month for the tax money coming out of our paychecks, that government accountability would be MUCH better than it is. Of course that's not practical, but hopefully you get my point. I give the government more in taxes every month than I pay on my mortgage. It's my single biggest monthly bill, but there's no 1-800 number I can call for customer service to ask where my money is going. Recovery.gov is a step in the right direction, I just hope it's more than a gimmick.

Lastly I want to give a shout out to the Boy Scouts of America. Among other things, scouting taught me to "do a good turn daily." Today, 4 strangers will check in for their flights at Lexington's airport and receive a free upgrade to first class, compliments of yours truly. I had 4 upgrade certificates that were about to expire, and I figured if I couldn't use them, someone should get the benefit! Delta prohibits me from selling or bartering them, but I am allowed to simply give them away, so I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

88 Keys

Some thoughts on impeachment