Hail to the Chief


The day has finally arrived. I watched today's inauguration in Plainfield, IL which is just outside Chicago. I know that nothing huge has changed in my personal life today, but still I feel a sense of relief. There is no longer an idiot in the Oval office. No more inventing words. No more giving everyone in the executive branch stupid nicknames like "Condi" and "Brownie." I hope this also means an end to bad intelligence (i.e. "Iraq has WMD so we need to invade..."), but that's probably asking too much. I do know for a fact that neither Obama's campaign or his inauguration were funded by unions, corporations, or special interest groups, and I know the same could not be said for "W." To me this means that at least our next President can start his first day in office tomorrow without feeling like he owes anything to anyone except the millions of citizens who voted for him. It's a shame that this is such a radical concept. Oh yeah, people, I'm drinkin' the Kool-aid. Try some... it's good.

You know how I know we're not any safer thanks to Bush? Because for 3 years now I have to take my shoes off twice a week at the airport. When we're safer, I won't have to do that. I got patted down this morning by the Lexington TSA, and you know why? It's because I was wearing "baggy clothing." How ridiculous is that? Is there anyone out there who knows me well who has ever seen me wear "baggy clothing?" No, because I don't wear baggy clothing. I was heading to Chicago today, so I threw a sweater on over my button down shirt. Thanks to "W" and the state of paranoia he developed, this now constitutes probable cause for an extended search at the airport. Because I wore a sweater, I'm suspicious. How ridiculous is that?

Can Obama fix the economy, health care, our infrastructure and schools, all while repairing the damage done to our reputation abroad by Bush's lies, torture, and secret prisons? Of course not. But if President Obama delivers on 10% of what he's promised, I'll be thrilled. I think it's funny that, based on what he's proposed, I will benefit more from Obama's tax changes as I did from Bush's. How is it that a Democratic President is about to help a "rich" white guy's taxes more than a 2-term Republican President did?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

Some thoughts on impeachment

88 Keys