Consulting 101

That's what they called the orientation sessions at my first consulting job back in 2000. They had some senior partner teach us how to shake hands and smile at our clients. He told us to wear clothes made from synthetic fibers because they look more expensive than natural fibers. Let's just say this guy wasn't exactly in touch with reality. He was pretty much just teaching us how to not make our new employer look bad when we were out on an "engagement" - what us consultants call a project.

I've moved around to three different consulting organizations since then, and I can confirm that consulting is a funny business. Companies hire us to tell them things they should already know, and to solve problems that they should be able to solve on their own. We charge high hourly rates, and we charge our clients for our travel expenses as well, both of which are standard practices across this industry. Still, consulting in the US is a multi-billion dollar a year industry, so we must be doing something right.

I like to think I'm a good consultant at this point. My co-workers seem to think so, and since I'm finally at a company where I respect my co-workers, that makes me happy. Words like "deliverable" and "out of scope" just roll off my tongue. I never did switch to polyester, but I've managed to get by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

88 Keys

Some thoughts on impeachment