I'm goin' up the country, baby don't you wanna go?

Typing this to you while listening to "canned heat" on my iTunes on the TGV just outside Marseilles. I took the laptop to catch up on work, since I am taking a few days vacation here. After hitting the Cote d'Azur though, I've decided that I got enough work done over the past 4 hours, and the scenery is way too beautiful to be thinking about work!

"I'm goin, I'm goin, where the water tastes like wine"

How true. The Cote d'Azur is legendary for good living, so I am looking forward to seeing what another region of France has to offer. Ben has already arrived and will be meeting me at the train station. I have to say that this train is packed - more so than any other train I've taken so far. I think between the Cannes film festival, the national holiday today, and the F1 race this weekend, there are a lot of Frenchies on the move!

The TGV is high speed from Lyon to Marseilles, but then it takes a left turn (east) to head along the coast line. This is an older train line, so the TGV can't go as fast. This is just as well for me though, because it means I get to enjoy the beautiful scenery. I cannot describe what a beautiful train ride this is - easily the best one I've ever taken. There is a GNER line that runs from London to Edinburgh (the route of the Flying Scotsman) along the east coast of England, and that is definitely a beautiful ride. Taking the TGV down through Provence though, and then after we pulled out of the Marseille station and have been hugging the mediterranean coast line now for about an hour, I have to say this is really impressive.

The TGV is MUCH smoother than any train I've ever ridden. There is a unique bogie system on this thing that is specially engineered for the high speeds. On most trains, each car has 2 bogies (4 axels, 8 wheels), but this is not true of the TGV. On the TGV two cars SHARE a bogie at the point where they are joined. So technically each TGV car has only 2 axels and 4 wheels. In addition to making everything lighter, this greatly reduces the amount of vibration that the gets transferred into the train cars. Additionally there is an air-ride suspension on each bogie to further isolate TGV passengers from the unsettling bumps and jars that are so common on the regional trains. When a TGV pulls out of the station, you don't even feel it, it's that smooth. Lastly, these special bogies serve as a built in banking system. As the TGV goes around turns, huge rubber air bags on either side of the bogie inflate to TILT the entire train car in the direction of the turn. This is a similar concept to why they bank the turns at so many of the US speedways.

Ben and I intentionally do not have any specific plans for the next 4 days. We will play it by ear, follow our noses, and try to stay out of trouble. Between the international sports crowd in Monte Carlo, the super-rich who live in Monte Carlo full time, and all the celebrities (and gawkers) attracted to Cannes for the film festival, I think this is probably the best spot on the planet this weekend for people watching.

I have booked us a hotel in Nice, which is nicely situated between Cannes and Monte Carlo - just a short train hop east to Monte Carlo, and west to Cannes. The TGV is actually going to pass through Cannes in a little while here, so maybe I'll get a sneak peak. I think today is the start of the film festival. Will and his honey gave me some great tips on things to see and do at Cannes. I also need to pick up a Michelin Green Guide for the Cote d'Azur. I tried to do that yesterday, but my local bookstore only had the French version - a lot of good that does me. Still I was able to go to ViaMichelin.com and research the best tourist attractions and restaurants in the region, so Ben and I can "get by" on that if needed.

Well, the battery is running low and we're about to hit the coast again, so I will sign off for now. -JB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

hot dog buns

88 Keys

Some thoughts on impeachment